The Alabama Interscholastic Cycling League was organized in 2015 to provide mountain biking programs for students in grades 6 to 12. With the cooperation of local volunteer coaches, schools, league partners, and sponsors we are able to provide a high quality youth development program that fulfills our mission of getting more kids on bikes. We believe that this program can serve as a gateway for those students looking to advance to elite level racing, while at the same time building a passion and love for the simple joy of pedaling a bike through the woods. Regardless of ability level, the Alabama League is committed to providing a positive experience for all student-athletes.
As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, our programs are guided by the following 5 core values:
No bench warmers; every finish counts
No try outs; everyone rides
Lifelong fitness and good health start here
NICA student-athletes are students first
Work hard, play fair, respect others and the community
Matt Fritzinger, a teacher at Berkeley High, founded the NorCal High School Mountain Bike Racing Series in 2001 which has evolved into the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA). As the coach of the Berkeley High team he saw that a school team could succeed, but that competition would be required for it to thrive. In the first series mountain bikers from schools all over Northern California answered the call and came to compete as semi-organized high school teams. Now there are 19 leagues across the country with over 7500 student athletes competing in the most well organized mountain bike races in the United States.
The League is committed to teaching safe riding practices. We believe forming high school and middle school teams is the best way for students to learn how to ride safely. To learn safe riding technique or learn how to teach these skills, join our next rider camp or coaches conference. For up to date news and info join our e-mail list, or send an e-mail directly to and let us know how you’d like to get involved.
The Alabama High School Cycling League works to establish and maintain safe, quality high school mountain bike programs. The League is responsible for establishing a climate that will:
- Provide students who have the desire to mountain bike with the coaching and camaraderie that will help them achieve both competitive and non-competitive cross-country mountain biking goals in a safe and enjoyable manner
- Develop an awareness of what it is to be an amateur athlete that is both gracious and respectful to their community
- Create an environment in which they may discover new friendships and find role models
- Guide students towards learning new skills and disciplines, and spread the foundations of mountain bike racing across the U.S.
- Foster a responsible attitude toward the use of trails and wilderness
- Promote the value of cycling to our community as a mode of transportation and as a lifelong sport